Did you know?
- It takes 7000 litres of water to produce just ONE pair of denim jeans?!
- Almost 70 million barrels of oil are used every single year to make the fabric polyester fiber which has now become the most commonly used fabric in our clothing today. It takes over 200 years to decompose, which is ridiculously long.
- The 'Fast Fashion' industry designs clothes to fall apart. Mad right? They follow a strategy named 'Planned Obsolescence' which means to design garments that become quickly unfashionable, lose shape, wear out or fall apart which forces us to continue buying new clothing.
- The industry is designed to make you feel 'not on trend' or that you're always catching up or falling behind. There used to be only two fashion seasons; Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter. The industry is now churning out 11 seasons per year with some touting 52 'micro seasons' per year! Consumption is real, people.
- Only 10% of the clothing that people buy are donated to thrift or charity shops. The rest goes to landfill.
Whilst we are slowly becoming more aware of how our buying impacts affects the planet, the quality of life for ourselves and the workers in these environments, we still have a long way to go. At GPS Vintage, we are very passionate about living a less waste lifestyle. Starting your own trend, wearing clothing that has a story, a previous owner. Not only are you saving money when buying pre-loved, but you are doing that little bit extra for the planet you live on. The large companies that produce these garments have a lot to answer for, but we can also play our part in becoming more conscious consumers. You can also purchase our vintage garms at a discounted rate for a limited period at WeThrift so there's no excuse to be shopping brand new!